Monday, January 15, 2007

That's Me!

While sitting in SFO waiting to fly to Boston this afternoon, I encountered the following clue in a Boston.com crossword puzzle that Erica was kind enough to print out for me:
Adam's third son and clockmaker Thomas
Now if you're religious, you might get the answer from the first part. If you're into clocks, you might get it from the second. If, however, you happen to have been named after the aforementioned clockmaker, and even better, happen to have grown up with a giant picture of him in your living room, then you're going to be pretty excited. That's right, the answer is Seths, and it marks both the first time that I have used my given name in a crossword puzzle and that I have seen a crossword clue make reference to a relative of mine. Talk about a red letter day. I think I may have to retire from puzzling.

No, I did not finish the puzzle, although I fought the good fight until the in-flight movie started. Quick, I need a five-letter word for "Bikini Blast".

ps. Although I knew that Seth was Adam and Eve's third son, I didn't know until tonight that Eve believed him to have been a replacement for Abel. Thanks Wikipedia. I'm still relatively sure I was the first child.

5 comments:

sbyrnes00 said...

And here I thought your full name was "Sethaniel". I guess I need to take back all of that personalized stationery I got for you as a present...

Anonymous said...

It's also the first time your name has been used in the plural : "Seths".

your sister "Kates"

Seth said...

Sethums is the preferred lengthening, but you tend not to see it in the literature that often.

Ned said...

Maybe bingo? Like 'beach blanket bingo'?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Seth you were the first child.
Well named too.
sometimes referred to as "Yetti"