Friday, October 10, 2008

Anti-Elite?

I've spent a fair bit of time recently ranting about the anti-elite tone that the Republicans take, as embodied by the choice of Palin. David Brooks' column in the Times today is a good read on the subject. This section, which is admittedly without citation, surprised me:
The Republicans have alienated whole professions. Lawyers now donate to the Democratic Party over the Republican Party at 4-to-1 rates. With doctors, it’s 2-to-1. With tech executives, it’s 5-to-1. With investment bankers, it’s 2-to-1. It took talent for Republicans to lose the banking community.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That stood out to me too! However, one other oddity I found was that the lawyers were more democratic than doctors. I would have guessed the opposite do to health care reform issues and their locations. It is hard to find doctors in rural areas - I don't think the same is true for lawyers - you can find them anywhere.

Also, to be a doctor in this day in age you have to be pretty darn "elite" in terms of education - not quite so much for being a lawyer. I don't remember anyone in college worrying about whether they could get into "a law school" (maybe a particular one) but I do remember that for med school.